Published On: Fri, Nov 28th, 2014

Aussie Test Batsman Phil Hughes Succumbs To Head Injury

Spread the love

Phil Hughes, the Australian test batsman, breathed his last at the St. Vincent’s Hospital in Sydney yesterday following a freak accident on the Sydney Cricket Ground during the Sheffield Shield game on the 25th of November. Hughes was batting for South Australia against New South Wales when a bouncer from 22 year old Sean Abbot stuck him at the top of his neck.

Aussie Test Batsman Phil Hughes Succumbs To Head Injury

Hughes was wearing a helmet, but the ball evaded the helmet and stuck on his neck just under the helmet. He collapsed on the ground face firsthand had to undergo CPR and mouth to mouth resuscitation on the ground itself. He was taken to the St. Vincent’s Hospital in Sydney where he had to undergo a 90 minute operation to free the brain from pressure due to injury. The force of the blow pierced through his vertebral artery and caused the blood to flood into his brain.

Dr. Tony Grabs, the director of trauma services of St. Vincent’s hospital, said that they had to make an intervention to bring down the pressure in the brain and had to remove some of the skull from around the brain to allow it to expand. But, Hughes did not recover as they hoped for and had to succumb to his injury two days after the freakish incident.

The Australian captain Michael Clarke read a brief statement on behalf of Hughes’ parents, sister and brother at a news conference at St. Vincent’s Hospital. “We’re devastated by the loss of our much-loved son and brother Phillip. Cricket was Phillip’s life, and we as a family shared that love of the game with him … We love you,” was what an emotionally drained Clarke read holding back his tears. He immediately left the room  after reading out the statement.

Hughes’ mother and sister were at the cricket match when he was hurt and kept close vigil at the hospital. Australian cricketer David Warner was one of the first players on the field to help Hughes when he collapsed on the field. A lot of Hughes, former and current teammates and other cricketing stars visited the hospital to offer him support and Australian Captain Michael Clarke was one among them.

Prime Minister of Australia Tony Abbot in his statement said that, Hughes was a young man pursuing his dream and it is really a very sad day for cricket and a heartbreaking day for the family members. The Australian flag was lowered to half mast at the Sydney Cricket Ground where Hughes suffered the fatal blow and was also lowered at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

About the Author

- Author is a editor of Dailynewsz -a news portals that covers world news and breaking headlines from US,UK,Europe,Middle East and Asia.He is also co founder of Searchprofiler

Composite Start -->