Top 10 Bollywood Movies of the Year 2014
The following are the top 10 movies that got released in 2014.
- PK- The film, directed by Rajkumar Hirani, starring Amir Khan, Anushka Sharma and Sushanth Sing Rajput is the most successful film, according to the people’s verdict as well as by critics rating.Raj Hirani and Abhijat Joshi’s writing and Aamir Khan’s exemplary performance as PK has created magic in the cinemas.
- Mary Kom- Priyanka Chopra has turned into real life personality on screen. She has successfully transformed into the spirit of boxing champion Mary Kom.Debutant director Omang Kumar has created one of the most inspiring biopic.
- Highway- Directed by Imtiaz Ali, starring Randeep Hooda and Alia Bhat, highway takes us to the heart of India through superbly depicted highway drama. The film has received a textured feel with the work of brilliant cinematographer Anil Mehta.
- Queen- Kangna Ranaut as Rani has given a flawless performance. The brilliant screen play reveals the inner strength of Rani as she starts her honeymoon journey without her hubby. Director Vikas Bahl portrayed the physical and emotional details of the character of Rani with intense conviction.
- Haider- Vishal Bhardwaj’s Shakespearean Marvel-Haider is flamboyant in its treatment. The star cast includes Tabu, Shahid Kapoor, Shraddha Kapoor, K K Menon and Narendra Jha. The Shakespearean tragedy has been given magnificent treatment by Mr Bhardwaj. Tabu and Shahid play the mother and son tattered by the distressing disappearance of the man they both love. Haider conveys the grim reality of the blood-soaked Kashmir Valley through Shakespearean prism.
- 2 States- This is the magical love story of boy and girl from north and south. Ananya and Krish played by Alia Bhat and Arjun Kapoor respectively takes us through their courtships and conflicts so smoothly that we forget that we are watching a film. The film, adapted from the Chetan Bhagat’s novel, is directed by Abhishek Varman.2 States is a movie which re-defines and rejuvenates the love-marriage.
- City Lights- Citylights is Hansal Mehta’s ode to the faceless migrants and the grueling time they have in the city. The life of a migrant family with all the hurtful happenings is unfolded through the characters played by Rajkummar Rao and Pratilekha.Rajkumar Rao’s stark performance and Pratilekha with her convincing emotional scenes make the film gripping and unforgettable.
- Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania- Though this movie failed to inflict the magic created by DDLJ, the combination of Varun Dhawan and Alia Bhatt added a façade of sensitivity to the story. It seems the debutant director Shashank Shekhar was trying to make a revisionist version of DDLJ.
- Happy New Year- This movie has got into the list just because of the lack of movies with strong characters and story. The film has a dance and a heist angle to it and stars Shah Rukh Kahn, Deppika Padukone, Bomann Irani, Abhishek Bachchan and Sonu Sood. HNY directed by Farah Khan is the musical blockbuster of 2014 and it’s an out and out commercial masala movie.
- Ek Villain – This is a thriller movie that stars the likes of Siddharath Malhotra and Shradha Kapoor in the lead. Comedy actor Ritesh Deshmukh has played a negative character in the movie and this Mohit Suri directed movie was a smash hit at the box office despite having no saleable star cast.