TOP 10 NEW YORK WEEKEND GETAWAYS
Fall is in the air – the clean, crisp evenings and warm days. This is also the perfect time to head out of the city and catch a glimpse of the fall foliage before it’s too late and then winter will be quickly upon us. This ideal bliss does exist and is within reach of the modern urban dweller whether you’re looking to unwind for a weekend getaway, seek the tranquility of a romantic weekend retreat, take a day trip, or hold your next company off-site meeting.
Some of the better known places throughout New York include bed and breakfasts, hotels, spas, resorts, and most are located in the Adirondack Mountains, Finger Lakes and wine country, Hudson Valley, Chautauqua-Alleghany region, Long Island, Niagara, and Thousand Islands-Seaway regions. Regardless of where you prefer to relax, there are plenty of choice locations and methods to totally lose yourself, if only for a weekend. Here are the top ten New York weekend getaways:
1) Honor’s Haven Resort & Spa – this place offers various special packages depending on whether you’re looking for a romantic interlude, sports, holiday, and group packages. They have well appointed accoutrements in each suite and you’ll feel at home so you can indulge yourself. There’s enough space to host your next wedding or meeting but all work and no play makes one yearn for their EarthMind Wellness, a Holistic Wellness Center. The dining services are impeccable, as well as the Fallsview Golf Course, and their spa and sauna facilities – you won’t want to leave. For more information, visit them at HonorsHaven.com.
2) Geneva on the Lake – there’s no need to visit Italy, you can immerse yourself in the finest wine and culinary epicenter of New York. This place was once the private Nester Estate, then Capuchin Monastery, and then was abandoned in the 1970s before being revived to the splendor of the Geneva on the Lake. This historic landmark sits perched on Seneca Lake in the scenic Finger Lakes region but you’ll believe that you’ve stepped into a small villa located in Lake Como or Portofino.
3) La Tourelle Resort and Spa – escape to a chateau in the country without leaving the country. The resort is chocked full of deluxe accommodations and exquisite dining. After a full day trekking around the Finger Lakes, you can retire to the resort’s two Tranquility Rooms where you can relax and enjoy cuisine from The Bistro. Visit the August Moon Spa where they offer facials, massage therapy, specialty massages, waterfall treatments, waxing, manicures and pedicures, and water soaks.
4) The Batcheller Mansion Inn– this 137 year old Victorian home is located in downtown Saratoga Springs, Congress Park and is a one-of-a-kind inn with the feel of a historic museum and intimacy of a bed and breakfast. Appointed with modern conveniences, you’ll feel as if you’ve stepped back in time to a slower period where you leave your worries and cares at the door and drain the daily stresses away. Relax in the original 1800’s Batcheller family furnishings and the grandeur of the stately retreat.
5) The White Face Lodge – Wow sums up the initial impression once you arrive on property. A rustic, woodland designed wilderness resort is modern but also one with nature located in nearby Lake Placid. This lodge was carefully developed based on the region’s 19th-century Adirondack charm that exudes a balance between the surrounding natural beauty and modern marvel. The wood-beamed exterior, cozy carpet-strewn sitting rooms and cast-iron fireplaces welcome the weary traveler.
6) The Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center – this resort offers theme weekends and activities all year round to include entertainment, spa and salon services, horseback riding, golf, kids program, nightlife, and so much more. Their lodging portfolio has just about everything you need and so much to choose from such as efficiencies, suites, deluxe rooms, traditional rooms, and lodge rooms. The facility has played host to numerous conferences, meetings, and weddings alike.
7) Buttermilk Falls Inn – this is one of Hudson Valley’s premiere bed and breakfasts nestled away on 75 acres of pristine natural beauty and a place that time has forgotten – much like a Norman Rockwell farm scene, just so surreal. Some of the amenities include the Buttermilk Spa and indoor pool with sauna. They offer a wide range of accommodations from the cozy Lotus Blossom room to the Sweet Basil which is a Victorian charm and well appointed for the romantic lovers to share in private.
8) Spilian: A Place to Revel – the name says it all, Spillian is an old English word that means “to play, to jest, or to revel.” This place encourages one to revel in life. This was the original property that was the original mountain retreat estate of Charles Louis Fleischmann, of Fleischmanns Yeast Company. The Fleischmanns hosted various artists and writers and New York socialites to the estate and were considered the economic engine for the region.
9) The Sagamore Resort – voted one of the World’s Best Awards for 2015 by Travel + Leisure Magazine this place straddles the shore on Lake George with the southern end of Green Island resulting with the backdrop of the Adirondacks. The more than ample meeting space to host any event including weddings and reunions. The Spa & Salon at the Sagamore is where you can enjoy their signature treatments, massage, facials, body, and fitness facilities. Round out you day with fine dining, a round of golf, and some play time.
10) Mohonk Mountain House – this is a unique place, they have a Victorian castle which rises above Lake Mohonk and it sits perched high above some truly amazing gardens and untamed wilderness. They recently have been the recipients of the World’s Best Awards for 2015 by Travel + Leisure Magazine and, after one visit, you’ll discover why. The prominent Mohonk Mountain House sits on the banks of Lake Mohonk in the Hudson Valley and the resort’s architecture includes extensive woodwork constructed from Shawangunk stone typically found in the Catskills.